Sunday, October 18, 2009

Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze

I myself don't really subscribe to the cheese and apples rule, but my Grandma always recites that saying and it makes me laugh!

I just could not get over the size of these apples! Uncle Rog has a bumper crop and their pickin' is in full swing with Jayne at the helm of the pallet sled. It was cool to watch them all in action. These apples are awesome for pie-baking, you can scale down your peelin' and corin' from 5-6 apples to just 3-4 of these monsters. For kid snackin', I liked this idea...

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/mini-caramel-apples-688916/

And if you're swimming in red and golden goodness like we are (but don't need to make applesauce because your 91-year-old Grandmother supplies the entire family!), here's another winner recipe:

Apple cake
2 C sugar

2/3 C oil
2 C flour
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt
C chopped walnuts

5 green apples, thinly sliced


Beat eggs and oil until foamy, Add rest of ingredients. Bake in a greased 9 x12 pan 45 min. at 350 degrees.
Frosting (If you're lucky enough to have Manda's frosting recipe, I substitute that instead--) Beat 2 C powdered sugar. 3 Tsp melted buter, 2 tsp vanilla and 6 oz cream cheese. Frost cake. Eat. Enjoy, Then eat another piece.

This recipe is pretty good too, Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel Topping: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/caramel-apple-cheesecake-bars-with-streusel-topping-recipe/index.html. *If you're appletite is still unsatisfied, you can always try your hand at Apple Brandy, recipe below.

This piece of fruit is amazing, crazy to think that China produces more apples than we do!

What's yer favorite flavor???? I vote for Empire and Honeycrisp, although I love the name Pippin Apple...

7 comments:

rachel said...

I LOVE this post dedicated to apples!! Amazing pic of Mia w/ the enormous apple & Char peeking out in the back. Love the shout-out to Excelsior Farms as well. My faves are Gala, Honeycrisp & of course, Empire.

Anonymous said...

... and they improve respiratory health and are good at fighting cancer.

Kat said...

whoa - who knew you held so much apple knowledge ;)
i like granny smiths and empire!

Manda said...

nice apple post!

are any of these recipes the one you brought to the cider & donut? because i want that recipe!

my favorite didn't make the list: sansa! soo good. (and uncle rog grows 'em!). gala is a top pick too.

i too love the name pippin apple, although i don't think i've tried that kind.

Aunt Judy said...

I heard the "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze" quote all the time growing up in Canada. We often would have apple pie with cheese. In fact, if you went to a restaurant, you would be asked if you would like the apple pie with cheese. You brought back some memories.

And what was the tease about time for another baby?... :o)

Holly said...

I am SHOCKED that China beats the US in apple production. That is so weird. Great post! I may try the recipe...

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks