Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beauty of a day...beast of an aftermath



I was so excited to meet up with an old co-worker and lifelong pal at Ellison Park just over a week ago today. It was the first time I got to meet her twin (19 month old) boys, Aiden and Seth. They are such sweet little guys and enjoyed ambling around the park together with Charlie and Amelia.





We let the boys play for a while by the creek, throwing sticks in and watching them lilt underneath and away with the current. Twas all pleasant and peaceful until Charlie decided to toss in his sippy cup after the disappearing sticks. So...in a fateful move, I scampered down the bank and grabbed the cup. All was well and we bid our farewells. And then I began to itch. Turns out I was coming down with the worst case of poison ivy I've ever had and, Lord willing, will ever experience again. The day after it was uncomfortable, two days later it was unbearable and I ended up going to the emergency room when my eyes and throat started to swell. The worst day was Sunday (almost a week after our park trip) when I woke up with my eyes completely closed and the rash covering probably 50% of me! After two shots, two prescriptions of Prednizone, two doctor's visits, three tubes of Cortizone cream, 4 packets of Aveeno colloidal oatmeal bath and dozens of ice packs...I am starting to feel like myself again. How about Starbucks next time, Alenna?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Dan and Alenna said...

I got my worst ever case of poison ivy too!! (But how is it that I got it when I wasn't even climbing around by the creek like you were?) I only needed one trip to the doctor's office and one prescription of Prednizone though. Starbucks sounds great for next time! :-)

victoria said...

Oh my goodness...that sounds horrible. I'm happy you are on the mend!! That sounds sooo uncomfortable.

Tracey said...

Oh! Jen, that is awful. I hope you are healing. Please tell me if I can help in any way, we will be around all weekend. I can watch the kids while you so something soothing...please- just call anytime!

rachel said...

Yikes! What an ordeal... I'm fighting the urge to make puns using the word itching. Glad to hear that you're healed!!