Sunday, June 28, 2009

Team Adams


On Father's Day, the kids marched out with their toddler-sized baseball mitts to present Dad with a new mitt of his own. I couldn't resist this pink and purple one for Amelia.


"Dang it, how could I have missed that pop fly?"



We also made Daddy-o some "lawn mower" cupcakes. Charlie and Amelia helped me make em. Amelia made sure to push the "engine" waaaay down into the cupcake and then both kids proceeded to happily eat the wheels (M & Ms) until Mommy finally caught on. Such great "helpers"...




Charlie's mitt is black like Dad's. He is starting a notable pattern of vocalized gender inequality that isn't exactly p.c. For example, he doesn't think that women are able to mow the lawn or use tools, even yard tools. The other day when I was using a large shovel in the backyard, he had the nerve to ask me if Daddy said I could use it! Pulling into a gas station another day, he tilted his head and said, perplexed, "Mommy, you can't get gas. Daddy gets the gas." Hmmm, this kid needs to be schooled. Although, perhaps getting Mia the pink mitt isn't especially helpful in dispeling stereotypes...Unfortunately, baseball will not be the area for me to illustrate equity of gender. I'll let Bob have that one. I hope they have many happy games of catch in their future!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

rachel said...

I love these pictures & the stories about Charlie's chauvinism are hysterical. My favorite one is the one you shared yesterday: "You girls go sew."

Lora said...

What a great gift. I have vivid memories of playing catch with my dad. I always felt proud that i could do something with my dad that didn't make him "feel left out with all those girls around". ;)

Aunt Judy said...

That's the thing about kids. They don't have to be politically correct, they can tell the truth! ha ha